Sunday, January 2, 2011

a good line

for my five blog readers, my apologies for not giving you all a good holiday wrap up. i'm back in baltimore now, am on day 3 of camping out in my obnoxious pink fleece pants, and missing WA a bit. back to reality and starting the new jobs on tuesday. thankfully i don't start school until the 10th, so i have a little more time to ease into it. i still don't have my syllabi for two of my three courses anyway, so it looks like i'll be flying blind.
but a quip from my new year's eve in baltimore, celebrated at a bar with joy:

it's roughly 11:30, and with the staggering fee to get in, the open bar is flowing. gotta send out the first decade of the millenium with vodka tonics. it really is the best way.
the crowd is snazzy to say the least. joy and i missed the memo about donning a fully sequined mini-dress/skirt, so i feel kind of out of place even with my nice skirt and shiny shoes. i don't do sequins. the women are generally skanky looking and the men are in dark suits or shirts. not a white shirt or jeans to be found on a man...except one person. every time i saw this guy walking around the bar, dressed in jeans, scruffy beard, glasses, and a white striped/patterned button-down i kept singing to myself, "one of these things is not like the other." in my head, i knew: engineer/nerd type. i have a radar for these guys nowadays.
i keep dancing and he comes up to me and begins with this line: "i think you're cute." allllright. thanks.
after my slightly shocked response (men are rarely that forward/not sleazy nowadays) he utters the single best line ever uttered to me at a bar (name changed): "my name is Dave and i have a unicycle."
sold.
side note: i'm batting .1000, he's an engineer. for NASA.

3 comments:

  1. A unicycler in Baltimore? I wouldn't have guessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I re-remember you have a blog about every 6 months. This is my most recent interval - and this story made me really happy =)

    ReplyDelete